Friday, December 15, 2006

Have you ever taken a $337 hot shower?

Today was the last day at my old job. Although I will miss my coworkers so much, I can honestly say that I am glad I am done. I didn't need the stress and the micromanaging anymore. So come Monday, I will be working at my new post. I will still be in the same suite, which is nice because I'll still get to see my friends. However, I will have a new, much calmer, relaxed, and laid back manager. I also think it will help that it's the kind of job where I can really work independently. Hopefully everything will go well and it will work out with my school schedule.

Speaking of school, now it's time to really kick my ass into gear. Only a few short weeks until school starts. I've gotten through all of the pre-reading for school. Now it's time to start working on my assignments for the first week and for orientation. (I know, right? Assignments for orientation!)

I had been planning with Leslie for about a week for her to come over last night for dinner and watch a movie; a girls' night since her husband was out of town on business. I came home from work; however, to find my husband screaming from the bathroom. There was no hot water. The hot water heater went out. Of course I wasn't about to wait until the next day to get it fixed...a girl needs a nice hot shower in the morning! I called an emergency plumber at 5:30. He called me about 6:30 and said he had one more call before me and he'd call when he was on his way. Leslie got here about 7:00 with dinner and we started watching the day's episode of Y&R. The plumber called about 8:00to say he was on his way, and he arrived about 8:30. He knew what was wrong with the water heater, and went to his truck to get the part (he knew we had a whirlpool, as I told him so when he called). Unfortunately, he came back in and gave me the bad news that he didn't have the part in the truck, but there was one at the warehouse and he could go and get it. He left at 9:00. Plumber Ron got back here exactly at 10:00. Leslie and I were now in the middle of watching "Love Actually." Ron fixed the water heater and started his truck up at 11:00. He didn't come back in until 11:15. He told me that when he had called and I said we had a Whirlpool, he was sure he had the part in the truck. Unfortunately, another company's packaging looks just like Whirlpool's, and that was the part he had. So being Ron the nice plumber, he didn't charge me for the hour he left to get the part (the hour that was a half hour too long...what? did he go 15mph the whole way?) So here I am thinking I got this great deal. Wrong. $337 later, I have hot water. Let me tell you that the part for the water heater was only $35. The rest was labor. Fucking emergency call rate. Fucking hot water heater. Oh. And Plumber Ron said that next time this happens, I should let it happen after 5:00 p.m. What the fuck Ron???

The window got fixed today. Yes. That's right. Our window...in our bedroom. Gabe was sleeping last week, and and only been asleep about an hour, when our bedroom window shattered. $145 and 20 minutes this afternoon later, I have a new window.

Happy Hanukkah everyone! Gabe is at work tonight, so I had to light the first night's candle alone. We'll be in Lansing tomorrow and we'll light candles at my parent's.

Time to work on laundry

No comments: