Thursday, December 28, 2006

Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. -- Margaret Mead

Harrington loves going out in the snow and playing. He digs his little snout in the snow and burrows just like dachshunds are bread to do. Unfortunately for him, this winter is beginning to look a lot like last winter: almost now snow, and warmer than average days. The only snow we have had came at the beginning of December. It began on a Thursday night with an rain which froze and became a lovely (but dangerous!) inch thick sheet of ice. After that came about two inches of snow. The following week we got about eight more inches, but it all melted away in about three days. Since then, we have had a rash of 45 degree days. It even got into the fifties for a while.

I worry about this. Global warming is here, and I know I'm guilty of contributing to the problem, but the whole thing really scares me. During Yom Kippur, Rabbi Aaron spoke a lot about Al Gore's movie "An Inconvenient Truth." It finally came on Gabe's Netflix, and we'll be watching it this weekend. I know I'm going to be horrified not only with what I see, but with myself. I only hope that Gabe and I can grow from watching it, and really be inspired to be a part of a solution, and not keep contributing to a problem. If things don't change soon, we're not going to have ice-covered trees glistening in the sun, or snow for the dog to bound through. With that being said, I'm going to end this with the words of Margaret Mead.


"Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."








No comments: